Please forgive my ignorance of list etiquette and of PD.  I'm new, need
help, and panicking.  My mother is 80 years old, PWP, diagnosed about
12-14 years ago.  She's in hospital now because of a "seizure", which
occurred at the height of an argument.  The hospital assigned a
neurologist, who so far is not communicating much while they do tests.
Cat scan, EEG, carotid doppler, blood tests, etc.

My main questions:  Does her story sound familiar to anyone here?  Does
it sound like she's having severe side effects from Sinemet?  Or does it
sound like she's getting too little Sinemet?  Her meds:  Sinemet CR
50/200 every 6 hours (around the clock) for about 6 years.  Until one
month ago, she also took one OTC naproxen every 6 hours.  Recently
injections of vitamin B12.

Until 1 month ago, she was fairly clear headed and PD symptoms were
"manageable" to her but did have distinct on and off periods during day.
Urinary tract infection diagnosed 3 weeks ago.  Due to my lack of
knowledge, she was dehydrated a couple times since then.  Occasionally
she has been refusing  meds and refusing some tests.
After seizure, disoriented, at times paranoid, but other times seems to
understand everything.  So far doctors are not sure what's going on
exactly.  Anemic.  Halucinating, confused, agitated, panicking at times
throughout each day.  Not eating for several days, then an occasional
part of milkshake, a bite of mashed potatoes, etc.

Due to emergency room visit and long delay until admitting, and refusal
to take medication, she was not getting Sinemet for possibly over 24
hours this past weekend.  (At that time she had contracture of feet and
legts).

I observed the following episode yesterday, 11 am nurse gave her a
crushed Sinemet CR 50/200 in apple sauce.  Then my mother had a carotid
dopler test and a little later an EEG.  Hallucinations & disorientation
at times from 11 am to 3:40 pm.  Felt unstable on bed or gurney.

At 3:40 pm, an episode began which mimics episodes she's had over last
year, but these were much more intense and terrifying, and this time she
had hallucinations and mis-perceptions.  The episode:

       Muscle spasms and contractions (e.g., feet, legs).  Tremors of
hands and arms.  She had perceptions of body moving, body slipping off
bed, orgasms, being high off ground or in other precarious physical
situation, she said her heart was pounding hard, she said she was
sweating.  She asked for wood boards or iron railings to hold on to for
safety.  Constant checking of bed railings, clutching them.  Lots of
restless movements.  Tries to hold bed railings but hands not working
well.  Because of increased panicked look on mother's face, I called
nurse, who gave her an anti-seizure drug ("Ditalin"?) at 4 pm.

         At 4:25 pm she still feels the bed is not safe or stable, but
not as intense looking.  Haluccinating about children playing.  Day
dreaming.  Feels she's up high in air and slipping off bed.  At 4:40 pm
she is calmer, but still some hallucination.  She's dozing off and on.

         At 5:00 pm nurse gives Sinemet CR 50/200.  By 6 pm, she is
mellowing, but not until about about 6:30-7:00 pm does she seem
physically comfortable and calmer mentally.

Considering her time since PD dx and Sinemet CR 50/200 is her only PD
drug, does this story sound related to Sinemet overmedication or
undermedication?  Anything else significant you see in the story?  Many
thanks.

I'm so tired and overwhelmed (hospital far away and I'm caregiver to my
ill father also at home) -- please send email to me if possible.  Many
thanks.

Lynne