Of course I took along all his *10* bottles of meds, and

Camilla wrote:
>I encourage all CGs to do this--Take copies of schedules, symptoms,
>warnings re: contra-indicated meds, etc with you--and leave them there for
>the record.  Our local doc always charts an order that I can administer his
>meds while I'm there, from home supply, and they'll let me do it if I bring
>all meds IN ORIGINAL BOTTLES --Good to know !  Since nurses change on
>different shifts, be prepared to repeat yourself  as often as needed

Taking bottles of meds to the hospital is a good idea, particularly if the
meds might not be available through the hospital pharmacy (like any new PD
drugs that have just hit the market - or drug trial drugs that aren't
available at all).  As a nurse, I appreciate the family that has necessary
meds readily available  - hospital pharmacies can be painfully slow in
filling prescriptions, and if the patient needs their medications on time
(like PD patients do) having the rights pills in a pinch is a God-send.

That said, the nurse and doctor's most appreciated record tool is a list of
meds (with administration times included) and a  record of past
hospitalizations and diseases (including **all** surgical procedures - even
that tonsillectomy you had performed at age 6).  Don't forget to document
that arthritis you've been suffering from  - you'll be happy you remembered
when you need some Tylenol or Motrin for the pain and it's available because
the doctor wrote the order (I spend more time chasing down doctors for minor
pain med orders than anyone on this list could believe).  Since all of you
have a computer and (I assume) a printer, please take time today to make a
list of the aforementioned.  Keep that list readily available (in your purse
or wallet).  Up-date it every time a change occurs in your medical regime.
Remember - include every hospitalization with the date and reason for
admission.  Make plenty of copies so you can leave one at the hospital
without losing your precious record.

Also, please remember that all living wills and Durable Power of Attorney
records *must* be added to the patient's chart *every time* that patient is
hospitalized.  Old chart records do not transfer authority in regard to
either document.  If  a no-Code status has been determined, it must be
renewed *every time* the patient is re-admitted - it does not automatically
carry from one hospitalization to the next.
-----
Regards
Mary Ann Ryan R.N. (CG Jamie 59/19)