Small Bulgarian wildflower may have big promise for Alzheimer's
patients

By JULIA FERGUSON

VIENNA (July 5, 1999 10:03 p.m. EDT http://www.nandotimes.com) - A
field of wild-growing Caucasian snowdrops in Bulgaria hardly
sounds like a money-spinning harvest that could spawn a flurry of
international patents.

But the chance discovery that the snowdrops hold an active
ingredient that postpones the outbreak of the devastating
Alzheimer's disease, has led one tiny Austrian firm to slug it out
with the big pharmaceutical concerns.

And the potential earnings growth is phenomenal.

According to the World Health Organization, around 35 million
people in industrialized countries will suffer from Alzheimer's by
2010.

The probability of contracting Alzheimer's increases with
advancing age. According to the WHO, the percentage of sufferers
among those aged from 65 to 69 is 1.4 percent, but among those who
are between 85 and 89 it is already 21.6.

Thanks to the progress of medicine and healthier living habits,
more and more people are living into old age, which means that
ever more will be suffering from Alzheimer's.

"We know that we can't cure the disease - the mechanisms just
aren't there yet - however, we can postpone the disease," Johann
Roither, chief executive of Sanochemia, said in an interview.

"We are faced with an increasing age population, so the aim is to
try and make those afflicted live as well as possible. At present
we can postpone the full onset of the disease by three years,"
Roither said.

"We're the only ones who can do that, and who have the clinical
tests to prove it," he added.

When someone develops Alzheimer's, the production of messenger
substances in the nervous system consistently declines.
Consequently memory fails and the patient eventually falls into a
vegetative state.

Sanochemia's medication Galanthamine is an alkaloid found only in
Caucasian snowdrops. It has a dual-effect mechanism in that it
raises the distribution of acetylcholine - a messenger substance
for chemical conduction in the nervous system - and also slows
down the breakdown of these substances in the human brain that are
required for memory function.

Sanochemia, which traces its roots back to 1441 when it was a
Viennese apothecary, hopes to get the nod next year from U.S. and
European authorities to sell Galanthamine on the market. The drug
is so far only available in Austria.

If granted, Galanthamine could become a major competitor to
Eisai/Pfizer's Aricept and Novartis's Exelon.

"Unlike the other two, Galanthamine has a very favourable
efficacy/side effect ratio. The body actually gets used to the
side effects and the symptoms disappear," Roither said.

"We've also got 30 years of recorded practice on humans."

Sanochemia went public on Frankfurt's Neuer Markt for growth
stocks in May to gain a much-needed financial injection to ensure
further research and development.

"It took around 20 years from the discovery of Galanthamine to the
marketing of it, so we realised that in this business one is in
for a long haul," Roither said.

"Going public was also a self-defence ploy against being taken
over. We've had many takeover offers, but want to remain
independent, unencumbered in our research," he added.

According to legend, a Bulgarian pharmacologist discovered
Galanthamine in the early 1950s after one of his students said the
people in her village rubbed snowdrops on their forehead to ease
nerve pain.

Sanochemia received a license in Austria in 1961 to use
Galanthamine, then called Nivalin, as a medication against against
nerve pain and polio. In 1985 it started extensive trials of
Galanthamine as a treatment for Alzheimer's.

But it found scouring Bulgarian fields for enough snowdrops to
produce the extract was time-consuming and expensive, as well as
yielding very limited supplies. It also could not patent a wild
snowdrop.

So the Austrian group attempted to breed its own Caucasian
snowdrops - in vain since cultivation of the wild plant saw a
dramatic loss of the active substance.

By 1995, Galamantine was approved by Austrian authorities as a
treatment for Alzheimer's. Since a patient needs 10 grams per year
of Galanthamine and the harvest of snowdrops was a mere 88 pounds
in a good year, Sanochemia had to find another source.

It therefore set about chemical synthesis and met with success in
1996 when it obtained the first patent on the process which
ensures the group exclusive global rights until the year 2014 at
the earliest.

Now it can manufacture 40 tonnes per annum of Galanthamine and has
entered into marketing agreements with Johnson&Johnson's

Belgian subsidiary Janssen Pharmaceutica and Britain's Shire
Pharmaceuticals Group.

Roither rebuffs criticism that Sanochemia puts all its energy into
the one product for the one disease and points out that the group
is researching other areas, notably stroke, cranial-cerebral
trauma, hypoxia, chronic fatigue syndrome and Parkinson's Disease,
using derivatives of Galanthamine.

"And in 2001 we're bringing out a revised form of the muscle
relaxant tolperisone," he said, from which he sees "huge
potential" from the fact that in Germany alone 53 percent of the
working population suffers from painful back muscle tension.

Sanochemia said the costly research and development of its
Galanthamine plus will cause the group to write losses over the
next three years, but that the effort will set its cash till
ringing in 2002.