At 09:46 1999/07/02 -0600, you wrote:
>I'm getting e-mail that is somehow getting sent to me but my e-mail
>address doesn't appear on the TO: portion of the e-mail.  This is very
>strange.  Has anyone experienced this?  I used to think e-mail
>that didn't reach its destination went to e-mail heaven and now I'm
>wondering if it doesn't go into someone else's e-mail box.
>
>Betty

hi betty

some e-mail software programs have a "bcc" option

it is similar to the "cc" option where a "carbon copy" [yikes]
of the message is sent to the address specified

e.g. if you were to send a message to me and "cc" it to tom, dick, and harry,
all four of us would be able to read our names in the message headers
and we would each know that the message
1. came from you
2. was sent to me
3. was copied to tom, dick, and harry

"bcc" means "blind carbon copy" meaning that the recipients of the copies
only know that the message
1. came from you
2. was sent to me

tom would not know who else got copied
dick would not know who else got copied
harry would not know who else got copied

and for that matter
i would not know who else got copied

so,
from the sounds of it,
in re the message you received,
you are taking the place of either tom, dick, or harry in the "bcc" header!

i have sent this message to the list in the usual way
and have also sent a "bcc" copy to you
just for fun

janet

ps
but i am sure that e-mail heaven still exists

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
PO Box 171  Almonte  Ontario  K0A 1A0  Canada
a new voice <http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/>