Long-term follow-up of levodopa responsiveness in generalized dystonia.

OBJECTIVES: To assign an accurate diagnosis to patients with dystonia based
on the presence of sustained levodopa responsiveness and to determine
whether motor fluctuations occur in patients with dystonia who are withheld
from levodopa.

PATIENTS AND METHODS: Patients with generalized dystonia who responded to
treatment in the 1970s with levodopa/carbidopa were surveyed by phone and
then examined during a 3-day levodopa holiday.

Functional imaging with fluorodopa positron emission tomography was
performed on a subset of patients.

RESULTS: In the phone interview, 4 of 7 patients with a diagnosis of
dopa-responsive dystonia reported the wearing-off effect a short while
(within 4-8 hours) after missing a dose of levodopa.

Five patients with dopa-responsive dystonia were examined repetitively
during levodopa withdrawal, and 3 developed recurrent symptoms of dystonia
as the drug was withheld.

In each case, worsening of dystonia did not occur until 29 hours or more
after levodopa withdrawal, providing evidence for a response profile
similar to the long duration response described in Parkinson disease.

No significant changes were seen in the dystonia scores of the 3 patients
with idiopathic torsion dystonia who were withheld from levodopa.

CONCLUSIONS: We suggest that the subjective feeling of wearing off
experienced by our patients with dopa-responsive dystonia may have been for
one of the nonmotor effects of levodopa, such as mood elevation.

Our data provide objective evidence for the often-repeated assertion that
motor fluctuations (analogous to those in levodopa-treated patients with
Parkinson disease) do not occur in patients with dopa-responsive dystonia.

Arch Neurol 1998 Oct;55(10):1320-3
Dewey RB Jr, Muenter MD, Kishore A, Snow BJ
University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, Dallas 75235-9036, USA.
PMID: 9779659, UI: 98450939

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
PO Box 171  Almonte  Ontario  K0A 1A0  Canada
a new voice <http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/>