Dear friends ... on the eve of my departure I am shocked and saddened by
news of the death last night from pneumonia of my dear friend Brian in
Auckland.  He was to have met me on arrival there next Sunday night.  I am
now hoping his daughter will join me on the flight I'm on out of Melbourne
on Sunday, to be there for the funeral early next week.  Brian and I last
spoke a fortnight ago and though he had his problems, there was no
indication of anything acute and he seemed optimistic about his health,
looking forward to my visit.

I don't yet know what this means in terms of my own forward planning, but
my heart is not in it at the moment ... getting through the next few days
will be tough enough.

I'm going off-list now ... will be in touch with some of you off-list as I
work things out.  My email to this address will be forwarded to a hotmail
address as of Friday am 2/7.

love
Beth