Clare -
Another valuable nutrient to relieve cramping is the addition
of Magnesium.  This is often overlooked, as most folk concentrate
on Calcium.  Without Magnesium, Calcium would not work.

Magnesium's value in cramping is that it relaxes muscle tissue.
It is also suggested for PMS problems, headaches, bone spurs, hypertension,
kidney and gall stones --- any time when muscle tissue or calcifications need
to be relaxed or dissolved.

The current RDA is 300-350 mg for adults.

Some of the population is considered to be "Magnesium Wasters" which
means that their body overly excretes magnesium and they need to supplement
more than most people do.

Magnesium often comes in a form of 2:1 which means 2x Calcium to 1x Magnesium.
If you need magnesium, though, get it in a form of 1:1.
Good combinations are formulated with hydrochloric Acid and Vitamin D
to aid the mineral absorption.

There are more good formulations coming out these days with good
concentrations of magnesium for Osteoporesis, such as Bone Up.

Chocolate has magnesium which is one of the reasons why women crave
it during menstruation!  It does help to somewhat relax the cramped
muscles!

- Marilyn -