hi all

At 15:12 1999/07/05 +0200, gerrit wrote, in part:
>Hi Janet,
>Of course is the paradox of our time negative and cynical.  We (as a
>civilisation) are making all these mistakes in our haste to make life
>easier/better/more modern etc. It is sad that we are losing all the
>good that we have as a trade-off, without realising it...

i cannot agree with you here
that we are 'losing' 'all' the good that we have without realising it

the only thing that we can be sure of
is that change and 'progress' is going to happen:
resistance to change just because it is change = narrow fear;
embracing change just because it is change = naive recklessness;
change examined and evaluated and adopted = knowledge and growth

there are always many more than just two sides to an issue:
an onion with all its layers is a better metaphor imho
[although a tad smellier]
for a complex issue than a toss of a coin.
tossing a coin is easy and fast;
peeling an onion can be awkward and uncomfortable [!]

i have seen and still see so much negativity
[but am i being too negative in my own viewpoint?]
in our [up to the present] communications and media habits
"if it aint a disaster, war, murder, or mayhem,
it aint news, and it wont sell"

i feel it is a shame to perpetuate this narrow negative approach
in this our newest and miraculous mode of communication

i still perceive the 'Paradox' post
[and it's been floating around the internet for a couple of years]
as perpetuating negative mis-conceptions
with slick but simplistic
play with words

>The Paradox of our time was not written as a factual study,
>but as a warning to what we can have happen if we do not take
>time to stop and smell the roses...

aha!
this is where we have a basic difference in perception

you see it as a warning of what might happen

i see the piece
as 'scolding' us
for having allowed all those negative developments
and
as having blinkers on
to any of the positive developments

like this one

janet

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
snail-mail: PO Box 171  Almonte  Ontario  K0A 1A0  Canada
website: a new voice <http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/>
e-mail: <[log in to unmask]>