Hi Wendy:

I would suggest that you talk to your neurologist about the medication you
are taking. It sounds like it is time for Sinemet. Taking a dopamine
agonist like Mirapex by itself didn't work for me. But taking it in
conjunction with a standard Sinemet regimen works quite well for me. I work
at a computer a lot every day and was losing the ability to work the mouse
and keyboard with my right hand. When I started taking Sinemet I regained
most of my right-hand functionality. But I did move my mouse to the left of
the keyboard and am now proficient with my left hand operating the mouse.

The cognitive problems may partly have to do with your distress about your
situation. On the other hand, and I'm not an expert, but I know that I have
less "brain power" than I did before PD (I was also younger then). The
medications (Sinemet) also seems to help in that area.

Don't give up hope! There is lots of help available and many things you can
do before you need to consider taking the major step of no longer working.

Best wishes and hang in there.

Rick Hermann
48 yrs old, 46 at dx

>Date:    Wed, 30 Jun 1999 18:29:50 -0500
>From:    WENDY GERLOFF <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: When Disabled?
>
>Please help.  I was just diagnosed this year with parkinson disease.  I =
>am 37 years old.  I am an Office Manager for a CPA firm.  My job is =
>starting to really get to me.  I have tremors and am taking 1.g Mirapex =
>3 x a day.  The problem is I have trouble with my right hand and my =
>mouse.  The big problem is I can't remember things on some days and =
>can't calculate or just comprehend what others are asking of me.  This =
>is not every day but it is affecting my work and they are getting =
>concerned.  I have short term and long term disability insurance through =
>work, but if I leave work or if I am fired I lose my group disability =
>insurance.  I am really scared and not sure what to do. =20
>
>Wendy

Rick Hermann
SPIE Press Manager
SPIE-The International Society for Optical Engineering
P.O. Box 10, Bellingham, WA 98227-0010
Phone: 360/676-3290 * Fax: 360/647-1445 * Email: [log in to unmask]