There are so many things going on, it's a challenge for us to choose where
to put our limited personal on-time energy to best use.  Off the top of my
dopamine-challenged head, here is a list.  I'm writing it mostly for
myself, to figure out what to do next.  Maybe you could add your thoughts,
especially those  of you who live outside the United States:

the Stick:  Parkinson Action Network's steady campaign for the Udall Bill,
with funding for projects focussed directly on Parkinson's research,
requiring our  pressure &  persistence in making sure the funds are
allocated for that purpose.

the Carrot:  Parkinson Alliance's scrambling for Pennies for Parkinson and
other fundraisers for seed grants to develop attractive projects which the
NIH will be compelled to fund.

the Big Picture:  any effort to increase funding for medical research in
general.  I applaud Rita Weeks for bringing up the value of basic science.
Morton Kondrake's push to double the NIH funding supports that.  Is there
truly some hope that we  baby boomers will make that wish come true?

Knowledge is Power:  the anecdotal information that Perry Cohen requested
about exposure to environmental hazards

the Unsung Heroes: support networks,  whether independent or connected to
the national organizations,  for the daily needs of people coping with
Parkinson's
Included are the social workers at the information and referral centers who
deal daily with conundrums that would cross our eyes.

the Spotlight:  the media-savvy and media-ready who increase our chances
for focussed research and for understanding from the public.  An example is
the recent newspaper interview with Margaret Tuchman, a modest,
self-effacing person who allowed her privacy to be invaded in order to
spread PD awareness.  Another example is Michael Jay Fox's "coming out".
If he does no more than what he's done to date, he's already raised
awareness more than anyone in history, while putting his career at risk.

Squeaky Wheel: a "phone tree", with at least 7 people in each Congressional
district (the way every  powerful group from the Sierra Club to the
National Rifle Association gets things done).  When anything comes up (such
as a PD postage stamp idea), we should be effective without much effort.
PAN has been working on this for over a year.

Tilting at Windmills:  encouraging the national organizations to unify or
at least cooperate , or, as we say in LA:  "Can't we all just get along?"
The Unity Walk deserves support  because they persist so generously,
knowing how long this might take.

This unfinished business would seem daunting to the point of causing
paralysis if it weren't for people like Jim Cordy and Joan Samuelson -- our
best-beloved zealots -- who shake things into perspective.  They challenge
us with the question: "What have you done today that is as important as
working towards finding a cure for Parkinson's?"

a personal To-Do List evolved from the list above:

pressure Congress to fund the Udall bill = contact my respresentatives
health issues assistant
(House switchboard 202-225-3121, Senate switchboard 202-224-3121)

raise money for seed grants = find more outlets for the Pennies jars; help
with the Oxnard Center's yard sale

fund the database effort that has been named for Morris Udall = send a
check to NPF, earmarked for the Udall database

contribute to Perry's toxic exposure study = ask him for his deadline and
write a draft that my older brothers could check for accuracy

improve communications = "publish" a calendar of all PD events in the LA area

create a phone tree = throw a little party for all the people with
Parkinson's in my own district (Waxman's) to see if they'll sign on as
links in the chain

Time frame to complete these action items: one step and one day at a time
-- aiming for 6 weeks from now.  Every day that I spend less time reading
the funnies that doing some "Udalling"  will be at least an OK day.