hi all

At 08:30 1999/07/06 -0700, bob wrote to me:
>> you need to send either a NOMAIL or a SIGNOFF command
>
>I would advise you *not* to tell them to use the Nomail command.  If
>they want to get off the List, all that does is shield them from the
>mail.  The server keeps them on the List and clutters itself.  The
>"signoff" command is more appropriate.
>Best,
>
>Bob

i agree with you bob, if in fact permanent stoppage of the incoming mail
is what is being requested.

i normally send that message out with another phrase included
i.e. "you can stop the incoming mail either temporarily or permanently"
but that particular message jumped ship earlier than expected
[i hadn't even meant to send it to the list, just to the listmember]

your message comes at just the right time
for me to let you listmembers in behind the scenes

it's an interesting adventure being acting list mom

in my short tenure, i have seen steady traffic
of people joining and leaving and changing subscription options

it appears that only a few need assistance to some degree
a lot of those people contact me directly;
their pleas are not seen by the
list membership

now that the idling list mom is truly idling
[on her way to quebec and out of e-mail reach]
[even though she'll read this later maybe in her mail 'catchup']
i have to tell you all
this job is something else

since 99/06/30 i have handled/written/replied to 400 messages about
list error messages, subscriptions, e-mail troubles, etc etc
and that's only the tip of the iceberg
[AND that's not even counting ms mallut's unique quandary!]

there have been 7 official and automatic 'signoffs'
and 11 official and automatic 'subscribes'
all un-dealt-with by me
only the listserv
[although i subsequently send out the official 'welcome' message
to the new members, which process could be automated by listserv]

barb patterson has been doing this work since 1993
while still maintaining her full time job at mcmaster
[admittedly, when the membership was smaller, the work was less]

if there is anything we can do to make things simpler
and more streamlined,
we gotta do it
imho

e.g. one

there is an existing 'general user's guide'
written by listserv for both beginning users and advanced users
which we haven't really taken advantage of yet

it's a large text file [100k]
although by mega-giga-byte-hard-drive sizes these days
that's a drop in the digital bucket
it could easily be split into more manageable sections

there's an option for us to keep files on hand at the listserv
[separate from the automatic archiving process]
which i will look into

this option would mean that we could request say
the file 'advanced user's guide to listserv'
or
the file 'net etiquette for mailing lists'
or
the file 'emoticons and acronyms in e-mail'
by e-mail from the listserv
whenever we want

e.g. two

there is a 'renew' option which we haven't taken advantage of
and which would clear out the list 'clutter' which bob refers to

listserv can send out a pre-configured membership renewal notice
to the membership automatically every 6 or 12 months or whatever is specified
to ask you individually to reply if you want your membership renewed

e.g. three

the listerv's archives are searchable by e-mail again
and in 'english' this time!

e.g. four

there is a 'topics' option
which can essentially create 'sub-lists' of this big list
so that members could set their subscriptions to receive
say only 'medical abstracts' or 'pd news' or 'parkinsaw news'
or....
sounds great,
but it requires a lot of 'subject header' discipline
on the part of the listmembers

mailing lists are a powerful mode of communication
learning how to use them effectively
only makes us more powerful

taking full advantage of these possibilities [and there are more !]
will require a certain amount of nerd-ability
from us all

but it involves refining our basic e-mail skills
something that would only enhance our online experience in general
[oy - i sound like a computer sales geek!]

part of the maintenance 'intensity' is due to
newbies learning the net
but only part

all of us have been newbies at one time or other
making mistakes is how we learn
and should be cheered
not decried

we have been using one of the most miraculous [imho]
means of communication this planet has ever seen
to a limited degree

i think it's time we learn to use it to its fullest potential

whadda y'all think?

janet

PIEnet elf and
acting list mom

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
snail-mail: PO Box 171  Almonte  Ontario  K0A 1A0  Canada
website: a new voice <http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/>
e-mail: <[log in to unmask]>