hi all

At 11:21 1999/07/07 -0400, camilla wrote, in part:
>>if there is anything we can do to make things simpler
>>and more streamlined,
>>we gotta do it
>
>AMEN to that!

good!

>>e.g. one
>>there is an existing 'general user's guide'...
>>it could easily be split into more manageable sections...
>
>This would be fine if folks would use it---I think very few listsibs
>ever request the available info from listserv.  Perhaps WE could digest
>the long file  into a more manageable form, removing the things that
>are only rarely useful?...

absolutely
that's sort of what i meant to say about splitting it up

we coud have a list of files available for anyone to request
via e-mail at anytime; they could also be duplicated in
the PIEnet section of my website

>Then it could be sent to new members--on CARE Jeff sends the
>Listserv  Ref Card, but I think often it gets lost or is hard
>to understand...

the general user's guide is much more 'reader friendly'
than the reference card

>>e.g. two
>>there is a 'renew' option which we haven't taken advantage of
>>and which would clear out the list 'clutter' which bob refers to
>In theory, great--but considering how many folks don't keep instructions,
>and have to ask to be removed,etc, I wonder if it would really be
>responded to--would we then be dropped if we dfidn't reply?

that would be the point of the renewal function

when we subscribe to the list, we are instructed to reply to
the listserv within 48 hours to confirm our subsscription request.

i don't think the renewal function would be much different
[although the 'grace period' could certainly be longer than 48 hours]

internet access services are a fluid business to say the least
i feel that my subscription with the listserv has been relatively stable,
but my e-mail address has changed three times in the last three years

>>e.g. three
>>the listerv's archives are searchable by e-mail again
>>and in 'english' this time!
>
>Could you explain "in English" just how to do that? where to find the
>"how-to"? It's gpd to have this option for those of us who lack Net
>access...

it's great!
and i am working on translating the 'how to'
from nerdese into english right now...

>>e.g. four
>>there is a 'topics' option
>>which can essentially create 'sub-lists' of this big list
>>so that members could set their subscriptions to receive
>>say only 'medical abstracts' or 'pd news' or 'parkinsaw news'
>>or....
>>sounds great,
>>but it requires a lot of 'subject header' discipline
>>on the part of the listmembers
>
>Exactly my reaction.  This is "deja vue all over again" in a way--would we
>have the discipline to make it work? To impress it on newbies?

as i understand it, if a message is not allocated to an existing 'topic'
it automatically would be included in 'other' which all members would
be subscribed to - so it could be useful in paring down list volume
for those who find it a problem

i think the key is clearly written instructions
and easy access to same

>>i think it's time we learn to use it to its fullest potential
>>
>>whadda y'all think?
>
>I guess I think we might use some of these resources, at least
>try them out...

good - i agree!
i don't mean to suggest
that we should consider jumping into all of these possibilities tomorrow,
i just wanted to give an idea of the choices available to us
which could make our use of the listserv's options
more efficient and less labour intensive
on you-know-who

>but shouldn't we ask Barb P. about it---...

absolutely!
i would not "do" anything at all without her approval

she doesn't talk much about how much work this list is
and quite frankly i was stunned

>maybe there are reasons why
>she hasn't used them up to now?

i think there are three main reasons:
time, time, and time!!!

which is something i have now, due to pd and a disability pension
and
which is something i am happy to contribute to us

[aside from which, i have to admit to being a nrrdette at heart!]

janet

PIEnet list elf
and
acting list mom

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
snail-mail: PO Box 171  Almonte  Ontario  K0A 1A0  Canada
website: a new voice <http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/>
e-mail: <[log in to unmask]>