hi all

At 16:31 1999/07/01 -0400, harold wrote to me:
>Janet: My record of sending virus hoaxes is not good so I am
>sending this to you off list. The suspect message is" please
>help poor dog win a holiday". The message says to forward so
>it is suspect.
>Happy birthday to Canada, my second favorite country.
>Harold Jones   harwin@gwi.net...

harold, you hit a bullseye this time!

here's a summary from
     Computer Virus Myths home page
     <http://kumite.com/myths/home.htm>

Poor Dog / Win a Holiday Hoax

There are hundreds of hoaxes like this. We are listing this hoax here
because it has gotten to be rather common.

The most common form of this hoax reads:

      If you receive an e-mail titled "PLEASE HELP POOR
      DOG.Win A Holiday" DO NOT open it. It will erase
      everything on your hard drive. Forward this letter out to as
      many people as you can.  This is a new, very malicious virus
      and not many people know about it.  This information was
      announced yesterday morning from Microsoft, please share it
      with everyone who might access the Internet.

Note the characteristic elements of this hoax. (By observing these, you
can recognize the many similar hoaxes.)

The hoax contains language to "forward", "pass on" or "share" the message.
Whenever you see such language in an email, you can assume it's a hoax
(or scam) and please, PLEASE, NEVER forward such a message. (Unless you
warn the  recipient that it's a hoax.)

The hoax mentions a well respected company (in the above case, Microsoft)
in order to gain some credibility but there is no way to verify this
statement.

The hoax suggests you avoid email with a particular title and suggests you
do not open it. (This type of information is hardly any protection against
against a real threat.)

i have a slight difference of opinion in re the well 'respected'
company mentioned above, but i won't quibble. ... except maybe to
say that there are some puerile hackers out there who are out to
'get' microsoft - this angle rocks the 'credibility' factor from one
direction but could be taken as yet another hoax tell-tale sign...

janet

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
PO Box 171  Almonte  Ontario  K0A 1A0  Canada
a new voice <http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/>