Dear List
Thanks to Janet for alerting us to the Reuters article which follows my
message.

I encourage all who feel strongly about the Varmus issue send an email
message to all your national legislators that Dr. Varmus must not continue
spending Parkinson's money on research that is not dedicated to PARKINSON'S
disease research.
After walking the walk and talking the talk to legislators this past week on
behalf of all of you I realize our strength is with ourselves only. These
legislators MUST know our plight. We must become more visible. We are the
only ones that can do it.
Please take five minutes or so to send the following:
At 10:37 1999/06/30 -0400, judith wrote, in part:
>June 30, 1999
>
>Parkinson's Money Doesn't Add Up, Group Says
>
>WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Parkinson's disease activists accused the
>National Institutes of Health (NIH) Tuesday of failing to spend money
>allocated for research into the disease.
>
>They said an investigation of the budget at the NIH showed that of every
>$4 allegedly spent on Parkinson's by the National Institute of
>Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS), $1, or 25 percent, is spent
>on research that will not benefit patients with Parkinson's.
>
>``Put simply, the numbers just don't add up and we'd like to know why,''
>Parkinson's Action Network president Joan Samuelson said in a statement.
>
>The group and four Democratic members of Congress -- Sen. Paul Wellstone
>of Minnesota, and Reps. Lane Evans of Illinois, Carolyn Maloney of New York
>and Mark Udall of Colorado -- sent a letter to NIH director Dr.
>Harold Varmus asking for an explanation.
>
>They also demanded that Varmus ensure the NIH spend the full allocated
>$100 million for Parkinson's research...

Thank you friends,
Helen Mason