Dear fellow PWP's and anyone who will listen:

Joe and I returned from a tiring,  but I hope successful,
trip to Washington for the PAN Forum.    We had
some good meetings with Texas Senators Hutchinson and Gramm's people.
In addition to various other Congressmen and women, we visited Bill
Young's  chief of staff.  Young is the chair of the Appropriations
committee in the House.   We also had an informative, encouraging
meeting
with David Beier,  the domestic policy advisor for Vice President Gore.

Our objectives were to ask support to help fulfill the promise made by
the Udall Act of 1997, to double the funding for NIH in the FY2000
Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education appropriations bill.  We
also proposed a $25 million dollar increase for NIEHS, (Environment)
a $50 million increase for NINDS and $25 million for the Dept of
Defense, reiterating in the strongest possible report language, that it
is the will of the United States Congress that those funds be spent on
focused research to find a cure for PD.

We also  heard from scientists all over the country on the latest
research
being done and that PD is the most curable of the brain diseases and
that
they could find that cure if they had the funds necessary for research.

As in the past, we left with optimism but also with somewhat
heavy hearts, full of frustration, with the knowledge that the
money this country would find to help people that just had suffered
a hurricane or other national disaster doesn't  consider it a disaster
that every nine
minutes another person is diagnosed with this horribly debilitating
disease.

 With the estimated costs of
Medicare, disability, lost wages, etc. etc. etc. to our country...
why don't they see that there couldn't be a more compassionate,
more compelling, more
economical way to spend our tax dollars!

Why aren't all of us doing everything humanly possible to help
ourselves?
Go to the next Forum, collect Pennies for Parkinson's, get involved,
write to your Representatives and tell
them your story and that you want a cure.

And I guess we'll go back next year and the next
until they either find a cure for Parkinson's and I don't
have to go back or they don't find a cure
and I'm not able to go back.

nina