In a message dated 7/4/99 11:40:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< No dentist can fill cavities with mercury, they do it with an amalgam
 which is
 an alloy that contains NO free mercury.  Your dentist should know
 better.

 Michel Margosis

In chemistry I learned that everything is either mixture, compound or
element. Later of course I learned about nuclear particles, but that doesn't
apply here.  So is Amalgam a mixture in which different elements are put
together so that the different elements stack together very neatly, but not
chemically bonded OR is it a compound where the  atoms share electron orbits
and no free atoms can come off without a chemical reaction.  I think alloys
by definition are mixtures but I may be wrong.
                                                           Gary