Bob & Joy Graham wrote:
> I am wanting to do a literature search on the above topic.  Any clues?
> I have forgotten how to access the archives... sorry
> Joy Graham

Dementia Literature                                    1 Jul 99
Dear Joy, you picked a big task! The gleanings below from my past
Current Science Reviews should help you get started. For items
and messages from other PIE listmembers, the Simon Coles archive
is at
         http://james.parkinsons.org.uk/search.htm
and if you want to get serious, PubMed is at
         http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Be careful how you search or you'll be inundated! Cheers,
Joe

Korczyn, A: Neur 1995;45:1025
Comparison of dementia in PD with that of Alzheimer's seems to show
a difference in chemistry.

Jacobs D. M et al: Neur 1995;45:1691-1696:
Impaired verbal fluency may offer a preclinical sign of PD dementia.

Tison F et al; Neur 1995;45:705-708:
Among 4050 elderly people surveyed, dementia was 8 times more
likely in PD patients living at home, and even more likely in those
institutionalized.

Aarsland D et al; Arch Neur 1996;53:538-542:
Estimates of dementia incidence in PD patients vary from as low
as 8% to as high as 81%. In 245 Norwegian patients, authors found
dementia in 27%.

Hutchinson M, Fazzini E; J Neur N'surg Psych 1996;61:324-325:
Although anticholinergics were accepted treatment for PD before
the widespread use of levodopa, authors tried tacrine, a drug
with the opposite effect, in 7 late-stage patients who also had
developed dementia. The dementia (hallucinations) was reduced,
and, unexpectedly, gait and rigidity symptoms improved as well.

BMJ; 5 Apr 1997:997 (news item):
Two French professors surveyed 1777 people over 65, beginning in
1988 and, contrary to common belief, found that moderate wine
drinkers (3 to 4 glasses/day) were only about 1/3 as likely as
non-drinkers or light (2 glasses/day) drinkers to develop dementia,
including AD. By sheer coincidence, locale of the survey was
Bordeaux, France's premier wine district.

Hestnes A et al;J Neur N'Surg Psych 1997;62:289:
Dementia like that in AD occurs in nearly all Downs patients, and
in about 15% of PD patients. Since Downs is clearly hereditary,
authors studied postmortem substantia nigra of 27 Downs patients,
but didn't find the Lewy bodies associated with PD. Contrary to
previous reports, they conclude there is no link between Downs and
PD.

Churchyard A et al; Neur 1997;49:1570-1576:
Severe dementia affects 10% to 20% of PD patients, usually after age
65. Postmortem study of 27 PD patients and 11 controls, who had been
previously examined for cognitive impairment, showed more frequent
anomalies (Lewy bodies, plaques, tangles, etc,) in the hippocampus
of PD patients who had been demented.

Baker M et al; Ann Neur 1997;42:794-798:
"Frontotemporal dementia with parkinsonism" is the collective term
for a group of autosomal-dominant presenile dementias that lack
distinctive features. Genetic analysis of 28 affected individuals
in an Australian family revealed a common gene, in chromosome
17q21-22.

Mahieux F et al; J Neur N'surg Psych 1998;64:178-183:
To look for predictors of future dementia in later-stage PD,
they gave a battery of neuropsychological tests to 89 new patients,
and again about 3.5 years later. The most prominent indicators
were impairment of visuospatial judgement and difficulty
inhibiting irrelevant stimuli.

Marder K et al; Neur 1998:50:1141-1143:
In study of 87 women with PD but not dementia, 80 with PD and
dementia, and 989 healthy nondemented women, estrogen replacement
therapy was protective against dementia but not incidence of PD.

Goldman W et al; Arch Neur 1998;55:674-680:
They gave a battery of cognitive tests to 22 PD patients with
questionable dementia, 53 without dementia, and 43 healthy
controls, finding the first group slightly impaired, the second
group less so, suggesting that PD may predispose to cognitive
impairment. They propose longitudinal follow-up, to see if PD
patients who eventually become demented can be identified ahead
of time.

Lieberman A; Neur 1998;50S6:S33-S38:
About 27% of PD patients are demented, another 19% suffer
cognitive impairment without dementia. About 40% of all PD
patients are depressed, and 40% have anxiety or panic attacks.
Discusses diagnosis and management of those symptoms.
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road