After being silent for far too long (although some would disagree with that) I'm just going to jump right in here.....this is a topic I can identify with!

I read in a medical publication quite a while ago that certain types of music almost compel us to move and keep moving. I know my feet can't resist a jig, preferrably from the east coast or The British Isles. It's rare that a fiddle doesn’t get my legs doing fancy movements and my feet tapping, swishing and gliding.  Of course, sometimes the rest of my body doesn't do a whole lot, but the sound of a fiddle played fast and well turns the bottom third of me into a Riverdance wannabee.

A PWP friend of mine discovered several years ago that certain marching music played on his walkman would pretty much ensure that he could complete his walk without freezing.  That beat spoke to him.  It would be interesting to discover if a particular beat works for everyone, or do we all have our own  trigger music?

Then of course, there's hand dancing.  Hand dancing can get you a lot of funny stares, and isn't recommended when you're the one who's  driving, but it sure is fun!  Let me tell you exactly what it is. I'll set the scene first. Al and I are in the car and he is officially driving, and I'm slow, or  slightly to very 'off' sitting next to him.  We've got music playing on the radio, probably 'oldies', and more than likely the volume is up. All of a sudden I feel the effects of my last dose of sinemet surging through my veins.  It's as if my arms suddenly take on a life of their own and before I can stop them they're dipping and swimming, and waving and circling, the variations are endless, in the air.  Then my shoulders follow, and if the beat is right my torso joins in.  Before I know it, the movements are big, and my whole body from the waist up is dancing!  Remember of course that I am still sitting in the car.  So, you can imagine the looks we get from the people as they drive by. They probably look over and think I'm crazy. And you know something?  I don't really care.  Because at that moment, I am. In fact, I'm crazy in love with the amazing feeling of being able to move to the music!

Lynda McKenzie