On Thu 08 Jul, Carole Hercun wrote:
> Tried janet's hint about letting the SinemetCR melt in
> your mouth (I know you're not supposed to-I'm a
> nurse), but, you know, it really seemed to help. I
> going to try it for a while. Re: Permax-my neurologist
> a year and a half, to smooth out the times between the
> Sinemet doses, and while its o.k., I'm not crazy about
> it. When we try to increase the dosage I find I get
> peripheral edema and the med in general makes me a bit
> antsy. Incidentally, I sometimes melt the Permax in my
> mouth, too. Well, that's my 5cents worth,
>                                     Carole Hercun

Hello Carole, When you let the Sinemet CR dissolve in your mouth, I
would be interested to see how long it took to dissolve. If it takes
less time than the usual 1 hour, then you are effectively transforming
the CR characteistic back fowards  a normal non-CR  tablet. Your
reaction to this (you say that it helped) is a message that your
brain needs slightly more Sinemet.I don't see anything wrong with this
practise, although it may not be as consistent as allowing the normal
dissolve in the lower intestine.
  One othewr item, the half-life of Permax is about 5 hours; this
means that you cannot 'aim' it to fill in a hole in the schedule.
The way that Permax works is to lay down a sort of 'raised floor'
which thus reduces the amount of levodopa required. I have found that
when i make a change to my permax, it takes 1 to 2 weeks for the
effect to be detected.
Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>