Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think virus protection programs
generally are not effective against executable attachments to e-mail. Also,
knowing the person who sent you the mail is not a guarantee that the
attachment is OK. This case we are discussing is a good example. Only sure
protection is do not open a *.exe attachment, without first corresponding
separately back to the person who sent you the e-mail to determine if the
attachment was intended.