Assessing muscle stiffness from quiet stance in Parkinson's disease.

In previous studies, we developed a postural stiffness measure that is
extracted from foot center-of-pressure (COP) trajectories from quietly
standing individuals and is based on an analytical mechanical model of
posture control.

Here we apply this measure to patients with Parkinson's disease (PD).

We correlated the postural stiffness measure with different clinical rating
scales, obtained from patients.

Kendall's rank correlation was highly significant between the stiffness
measure and rigidity, bradykinesia, posture impairment, gait, and leg
agility, respectively, as rated by the Unified Parkinson's Disease Rating
Scale.

These results provide further evidence that a higher intrinsic muscle
stiffness may contribute to the aforementioned clinically defined symptoms.

From a clinical standpoint, this work indicates that the proposed postural
stiffness measure may be useful as an assessment tool for the evaluation of
PD patients subsequent to pharmacological and surgical treatment.

Muscle Nerve 1999 May;22(5):635-9
Lauk M, Chow CC, Lipsitz LA, Mitchell SL, Collins JJ
Center for BioDynamics, and Department of Biomedical Engineering, Boston
University, Massachusetts 02215, USA.
PMID: 10331364, UI: 99260207

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
snail-mail: PO Box 171  Almonte  Ontario  K0A 1A0  Canada
website: a new voice <http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/>
e-mail: <[log in to unmask]>