At 03:30 11-7-99 +0200, Hans van der Genugten wrote:
,Hi Charlie and Janet,
>>IMO the "apoptosis" article is saying the following:
>>- PD is not caused by apoptosis of cells in the substantia nigra, but by an
>INCREASED apoptosis.
>- a endogenous neurotoxin "B" is found in HIGHER levels in PWP.
>- "Mediate" means "bringing back to standard/normal values".

Hans, and janet and Charly

Mediate is from latin "medeor" According to my latin dictionary that means
"to help" Medentes which is litterarely:they,who help, means doctor. The
French
 word"mediator'' means plectrum. And mediat is an adverb which means
indirect,
with help of. "Ausculation mediate un stethoscoop is ausculation with a
stethoscoop. A "mediateur" (French) is in English an "intermediary" ,an
negotiator an arbiter or a go between.
The same word is used in Dutch as intermediair. That is a person who by
negotiating brings people together for example an employer and an employee.

So, the apoptosis article says that the toxin that is found in the brains
of PWP's helps apoptosis or even makes it possible.

Regards Ida

Vriendelijke Groeten / Kind regards,

Ida Kamphuis                            mailto: [log in to unmask]