A good solution for this problem is for us to be assiduous
in choosing our Subject:  lines.
After I download my messages I visually scan for:   NON PD
messages.  Those I _generally_ then delete.  (Funny how I decided
to read this one, though).

Due to the large number of messages on this list, I delete some other
messages whose subject lines indicate that they may be of lesser value
to me at this point in time.

Or if I start reading a thread and then realize I don't need to read
this info at this time, I delete the rest of that thread.  Yes, I lose
some info but it can't be helped.

- Marilyn -