hi all

At 09:42 1999/07/13 -0500, murph wrote, in part:
>... My concern is for the many who ask to be removed from the list,
>stating that they feel overwhelmed by the number of postings. I feel
>bad when i see these posts. It makes me wonder if we have lost someone
>who has a real need for the compassion frequently shown on this board.
>... but let's make sure that we are not losing list members who have
>a real need  for support other than a funny story.
>Best Regards  Murph Brown 57/48

for whatever it may be worth [fwimbw]
in the 14 days since i took on the duties of acting list mom
the PIEnet list has seen the following membership changes:

46 people joined the list
and
32 people left the list

resulting in a net gain of 14 new subscriptions in 14 days

we cannot know for sure
why the joiners join or why the leavers leave

we cannot know for sure
how the joiners found us or what they were 'expecting'

but i'd bet dollars to donuts that there are
46 different and unique reasons for joining
and
32 different reasons for leaving

we are just one 'pd support group' out of many
our means of communication may be unique
but every day it is less so
as the internet grows

are we spending time and energy
on the 'empty' portion of the glass
worrying about things that might have been
when we could be spending time and energy
on the 'full' portion of the glass
celebrating the things we have here and now

?

can compassion and humour
be considered complementary
rather than contradictory

?

am i reacting to this discussion
from a manichaeistic viewpoint

?

janet
mulling mist lom

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
snail-mail: PO Box 171  Almonte  Ontario  K0A 1A0  Canada
website: a new voice <http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/>
e-mail: <[log in to unmask]>