Paul Lauer, newly diagnosed (5 months) wrote, citing varying
recommendations for limiting dietary protein:

> Does anyone out there know if there is a "school" solution or does
> it vary with severity of disease or timing of medication or other
> parameters of which I am not aware.

Hi,

Based on my experience, here are some considerations:

In general, the classic American diet, in which a generous hunk of
"roast beast" is the main content of a meal, contains an excess of
protein. At http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/Cat3.html a dietition
gives the protein requirement for the average healthy person as 0.8
grams per kilogram of body weight.  If you weigh 150 lbs. (68.2 kg.)
you need about 55 grams of protein per day.  This is the quantity of
protein supplied by about 8 oz. of lean beef, fish or poultry.  In a
balanced diet following this requirement there would be somewhat less
meat, since some protein would be supplied from other sources, such
as beans.

Dietary protein competes with levodopa for access to the brain
across the brain-blood barrier.  But this is not critical for
someone in the early stages of PD.  According to an article on
nutrition at the NPF web site http://www.parkinson.org/nutrguid.htm,
"Only a small percentage of patients with PD need to alter the
amount or timing of protein intake to avoid interfering with Sinemet
absorption. These are patients who experience significant on/of
motor fluctuations, and typically take Sinemet six or more times per
day."

I am at a point (10th year with PD diagnosis) at which dietary fat
seems to be the significant limiting factor, not protein.  Fat
prolongs the time during which the stomach retains its contents.
Sinemet taken during this time, especially CR, gets held up in the
general gridlock.  Sinemet is not absorbed in the stomach, but rather
in the small intestine.

If you are in an early stage of PD, and you have lots of leeway in
your med doses between the minimum needed to overcome symptoms and
the amount at which the side effects, such as dyskinesia, begin, I
don't see that protein is a problem.

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
age 61/dx 1990