Janet,
I agree that the jargon in medical journals can get out of hand.  I
think it can be especially bad when the author's native language is not
the language the article is published in  In a lot of cases they have
learned- in this case English- reading medical papers.  At the same time
jargon can also provide a shortcut that can be useful.

I think in  standard medical-scientific usage "MEDIATES" does not mean
"reduces".  It means to be in the middle position  or to be a "medium"
for bringing about a result. That can cause a whole different
interpretation of the passage and unfortunately in this case the passage
does not mean that apoptosis is reduced.  I sure wish it did though.

Charlie

--

Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.
Middleton (Madison), Wisconsin