Hans,

IMHO I have to disagree with you about the meaning of mediates.  I don't
believe it refers to as you suggest bringing back to the median hence normal I
think it is referring to the meaning of the word "mediate" as used in the word
"mediator" or a go-between.  Like an arbitrator it is a step in the middle
which has an effect on the outcome.  It may bring things back to a normal state
but doesn't have to to "mediate".

Charlie

--

Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.