Gary,

As a retired psychiatrist (because of PD) I have to defend ECT in some cases.  I
am sorry about the experience you had with it.  But your father's suicide may
well have been from its failure (which happens in a number of cases).

ECT is aesthetically displeasing to watch, causes confusion for a time,  and can
lead to fractures occasionally. I only performed it a couple times during my
training and never did it post training.   Having said that I also have to say
that it is the single most effective treatment for severe depression  that is
available (percentage wise).  There are a few patients that I treated over the
years that could have benefited from it earlier in their course of treatment and
every year I came upon 1-2 patient that reached a point that I referred them to
a colleague for ECT.   I have seen a number of patients that have gone on to
lead "normal"  functional, productive lives who had spent months in the
hospital, had nothing work for them and for my last "trick" in the bottom of my
bag of tricks I recommended ECT which was effective.   The subject has come up
here on occasion because of PD patients with depression and some have gotten
benefit from it.

And BTW while I have never had ECT- I put in my advanced health care directives
that regardless of what I may say in the future re having ECT  if 2
psychiatrists and my family agree than I should have it anyway.

I agree it is- or at least appears barbaric and it is not known exactly why it
works-  but it is the most effective treatment for depression especially when
all else fails or the patient is at such high risk for suicide that he is in
danger that I would rather be accused  of being barbaric and have a live
hopefully intact patient than a dead one.

Gary, I truly am sorry that your father experienced  a treatment failure and
eventually killed himself.  I am sure I can't convince you that it might have
well been in spite of the treatments rather than because of them (especially not
knowing anything about the case).

I will be away for a few days but then be back on Wednesday.

Charlie

--

Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.
Middleton (Madison), Wisconsin