I just received the cans I ordered from NPF for PENNIES FOR PARKINSON'S
and was confused by the flyer that was included which said to send
checks to NPF, so I called the Alliance.
They said that NPF had made a mistake and that
the checks should be made out to
and sent to the Parkinson Alliance.
Just thought if anyone has gotten cans,
you, too, might need that clarification.
I've copied a flyer that I am enclosing with the
cans that I send out.  Everyone feel free to use it.
It's so easy...it just takes asking.  So go get 'em and good luck!
nina
*********

PENNIES FOR PARKINSON'S

Thank you so much for helping raise funds for Parkinson's research.
Please read the enclosed brochure.

You will be responsible for getting the can back when it's full.  Write
in your name or phone number for the “contact” and keep a record of
where you've left containers. They are opened with a can opener.  Either
return them to me or convert the money to a check or money order payable
to The Parkinson Alliance, 1250 – 24th St., NW, Suite 300, Washington,
DC 20037.  Be sure to put the code on your check.  Then call me for more
to replace the ones you've picked up!

1. Give them to your family, friends and co-workers.
2. Put cans in locations such as supermarkets, drug chains that have
multiple cash registers.
3. Place a can with businesses you frequent, such as your bank,
pharmacy, hardware store, hairdresser, card shop, library, medical
supply dealer, doctor’s offices, etc.

I have also included a guideline for approaching people by phone or in
person.  This is only a guideline, it changes as the situation changes
and should be tailored to suit you and the person you’re asking.

PENNIES FOR PARKINSON’S SCRIPT

Ask for the store manager,

"Hi I'm, _____________, a volunteer working in a grass roots effort to
raise funds for Parkinson's disease research.

(You can stress local, community, grass roots; locals with Parkinson's,
but with the legitimacy of the National Parkinson Foundation.)

"We're going to our local merchants in the community, and asking
permission to place our coin cans at your registers.  May we count on
you to support this effort?"

(Silence at this point; let them have the floor to answer your request.
If “yes”, work out how many cans, and other details, and that you will
be in to empty or swap cans, and bring in official literature. Then
reassure them that...)  "All of the donations raised from the Pennies
for Parkinson's campaign will go to the Parkinson Alliance, an affiliate
of the National Parkinson's Foundation, for research to find a cure."

(If “no” ask for a donation from the store or company. You may be sent
to the owner or corporate or district manager -- it may be that you have
to reassure them that they are under no liability if the cans disappear.
This concern was raised several times.  Once it was expressed as "No, I
never allow cans at the register." Then the theft issue came up and
after reassurance that there would be no accusations, liability, etc.,
he said “Yes” wholeheartedly.)

"Thank you very much for your support!"

And I thank you, as well.
Nina Brown