Thank you, Judith.  The problem has been that I am not there with him.  But Joan Snyder is going to the hospital today and taking the information from Janet with her.  God bless her.  I fly back tomorrow and should see him Wednesday.  This is awful but I feel somewhat better today.  Knowledge is power.  Thanks
-----Original Message-----
From: judith richards <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Monday, July 12, 1999 9:19 AM
Subject: Re: IHELP

Carol,
    Reading your message made my stomach twist into knots.
    Tasmar should NOT be stopped cold-turkey, nor should any other Pksn medication.
    If you have not read Joe's story, please do, and the posts titled A PWP needs help. Actually, I believe they are all on Janet's web site.
    I don't know what Mellaril is, but if it is contraindicated in any dosage, IMO he shouldn't be taking it. He's already in enough trouble with the PD meds.
    Are you sure he HAD to be admitted to the psych ward? I would be very wary of leaving him there. Try to get him moved to a medical ward, especially one that looks after neurology situations.
     When our friend Joe was admitted to the psych ward we didn't 'know' we had any other option, but we have since learned that  he could have been admitted to a medical ward.
    Please ask about EVERY medication they want to give - is it contraindicated? - what is it for? - what is it expected to do? - what changes should we watch for - when should we see any change?
    Our experience had taught us that we have to be very cautious, and also assertive with doctors, etc., if necessary.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Judith
--
Judith Richards, London, Ontario, Canada
                         ^^^