At 14:05 1999/07/16 EDT, you wrote:
>It's been awful slow on the list today.
>Is everyone (else) taking an early weekend?

nope

viz:
iDirect Digest July 16, 1999
Emergency Announcement: Fire at Bell office downtown Toronto

According to reports on 680 News and the CBC Web Site
<http://cbcnews.cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/view.cgi?/news/1999/07/16/bell99071
6>
there is a fire at a Bell Canada Switching Station in downtown
Toronto. Service may be interrupted as far away as Vancouver.
While this is a service issue at Bell Canada, and we have no
control over events during this emergency, Internet Direct regrets
any inconvenience this may cause and will work with Bell technicians
to restore full service as soon as possible. Toronto Police are advising
phone users not to call them downtown unless there is an emergency
for the time being.

i have heard that toronto/ontario/canadian phones, bank atms,
cellular services, internet services, even long distance calls
from vancouver to asia were affected

so i think the university of toronto
may have been without phone lines for a bit

janet

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
snail-mail: PO Box 171  Almonte  Ontario  K0A 1A0  Canada
website: a new voice <http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/>
e-mail: <[log in to unmask]>