At 19:23 5-7-99 +0200, you wrote:
>Just a perhaps silly question: if dyskinesia can be a sign of too much
>L-dopa, what are the signs of too much agonist?
>Maryse

Maryse,
It's not a silly quwstion at all. I realised reading at, I did not know the
answer. But today i met with this article.

 Rev neurol(Paris) 1977 Aug-sep; 133(8-9):445-54
[ Abnormal movements* caused by L-Dopa and O-methyl-Dopa]
[Article in French}
Lhermitte F, Agid Y, Feuerstein C, Serre F, Signoret JL, Studler JM, Bonnet AM

This  study involved twelve parkinsonian patients exposed to abnormal
movements
provoked by L-dopa. Including six patients with mid-dose dyskinesias and
six others with onset and end of dose dyskinesias. Correlation between the
circum-
stances of onset of abnormal movements and plama concentrations of DOPA and O-
methyl- DOPA, after administration of a dose of L-DOPA + IDC(I don't know
what IDC is, Ida ), gave the following results: 1) mid-dose dyskinesias
appeared with the highest plasma concentrations of DOPA , at the maximum
therapeutic effect; 2)onset and end of dose occured during rise and fall in
plasma levels
of DOPA, coinciding with the relief and the reappearance of parkinsonian
symptoms respectively; 3)no correlation could be established between plasma
concentrations of O-methyl-DOPA and the duration of the periods of clinical
remission or of abnormal movements. These biochemical data, completed by
the neuropharmacological study of one patient with onset and end of dose
abnormal movements suggest the predominant role of a disturbance in central
dopaminergic
mechanisms in the genesis of abnormal movements, whatever their nature.
PMID: 929037, UI: 78054363

*The words Abnormal movements in stead of dykinesias is used, because the
original aricle is in french and in french dyskinesia is "mouvements
anormeaux"

SO it says that he level of dopamine causes only the onset of the mid dose
dyskinesia not the time it lasts and not one of these variables in diphasic
dyskinesia. My own experience is that taking less sinemet even can cause
more onset or end of dose dyskinesia.  The question what "the distubance in
central dopaminergic mechanisms" is, has yet not been answered.
I think THE SIGHN for overdose of agonists does not exist.

Ida

Vriendelijke Groeten / Kind regards,

Ida Kamphuis                            mailto: [log in to unmask]