This morning I read Carol Walton's posting on generics and was reminded that
back in 6/96 I wrote a brief note on the same issue.Sad to say that I never
could track down the FDA's Blue book or Red book or which ever book
contained such a standard. And as I recall there was very little interest
from the list at that time. Perhaps today?

>6/09/96 George Lussier wrote:
>"Did you know that a GENERIC drug maker is allowed to make his drug with
>a leeway of 20%, more or less than the brand name drug. That means that you
>may be getting 20% more or less of the primary ingredient when you shift
>from the brand name to a Generic. AND if you shift from one generic to
>another the difference could be as much as 40%!!! Do you believe it? I'm
>trying to track down the chapter and verse via the FDA"