Sinemet is a combination of tweo drugs--carbidopa and levodopa, and is "the
gold standard" med for PD.  Mirapex , the brand name for ropinerole,is a
totally different drug--a dopamine agonist, which doesn't actually supply
dopamine (as Sinemet does) but  increases the effectiveness of the dopamine
in Sinemet.  It is sometimes used alone in early stages of PD, and "fools
the brain" into thinking it's getting  more dopa. (That's a very
non-technical answer--others will expand, I'm sure.)  There are several
other agonists, such as Permax and Parlodel, and the newer Requip, which
act similarly to Mirapex. If one doesn't work well for a PWP, others are
often tried.  Hope that helps a bit.

>Can someone PLEASE  help me to understand the difference between sinemet
>and mirapex.
>Thanks in advance
>
>Mercedes
>

>Download Neoplanet at http://www.neoplanet.com

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 81/70/55
Oxford, Ohio

                        "Ask me about the CARE list for
                        Caregivers of Parkinsonians ! "