At 17:14 1999/07/21 -0700, you wrote:
>Are any of the surgical procedures for Parkinson's currently covered =
>under Medicare?  Do any of these surgeries specifically improve slowness =
>of movement?
>
>Ted Menser (51/45/43)

hi ted and welcome!

i don't know about medicare
but i think i know that slowness of movement [bradykinesia] is a pd symptom
[as opposed to dyskinesia which is a side effect of sensitivity to levodopa]

i haven't heard of a surgical procedure for bradykinesia

pallidotomy tends to be performed on those suffering
uncontrolled dyskinesia

the stim type implants tend to be performed on those suffering tremor

[if i'm wrong about the above, you'll hear about it pretty quick!]

what i'm getting to
is that i believe that finely tuned med management
is the solution to bradykinesia

if you don't mind my saying so, and in my humble opinion,
based on what carole has told us of your recent 'adventures',
your med management hasn't been exactly 'finely tuned' lately
unless one installs spark plugs in a maserati with a sledge hammer!
[maybe car man ken knows something about this technique!]

my goodness, you've had pd less time than me!
[though i know the usual disclaimer - we are all different etc]
and i sure as heck am nowhere near considering surgery
but i haven't been on the med roller coaster
that you've been on - my meds have not changed for 11 years

have you had a chance to read 'joe's story'?
it's on my website under pienet/words/nuggets
i think it's important for all parkies to read
but most especially one who has been through your experience

your cyber-sis in bradykinesia

janet

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
snail-mail: PO Box 171  Almonte  Ontario  K0A 1A0  Canada
website: a new voice <http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/>
e-mail: <[log in to unmask]>