Date sent:              Tue, 20 Jul 1999 07:15:10 EDT
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   Alison Landes <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Aspartame
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> During the day I am going to send an e-mail to 4 neurologists, 1 pharmacist,
> an M.D. ( Head of the Nutrition Section at a major university) and a licensed
> dietician to ask if they have any idea whether this issue with Aspartame has
> any merit.
>
> I will post any pertinent information that comes back in response.
>
> Alison

This Aspartame stuff keeps re-surfacing (on different lists) from time
to time.  It went around a brain tumor list a few months ago, and I
researched it extensively.  It is a pure hoax; the product of someone
who profits from a company which engages in "testing" for such.

Go ahead and research the issue, but you are really re-inventing the
wheel, as the claims against Aspartame have been debunked many
times before.

The only potential risk of Aspartame is that there is a very small
number of people who are missing an enzyme which the body uses to
break down one of the natural amino acids (phenylalanine).  Since
Aspartame is related to phenylalanine, people who cannot break it
down can have toxic reactions.  The incidence of this is extremely
small (one in millions!).

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  <http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/>

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"