Hi, all...I'm back from my vacation and want to thank Janet for her very
capable job as acting-listmom.  In fact, Janet has offered and I have
agreed to make this a permanent arrangement...so, PIEN will become a
two-mom list.  :)

During our drive to the Eastern Townships of Quebec (specifically
Inverness, Quebec where my husband, John, and brother-in-law, Ken, were
born), we followed a couple of tractors towing huge vats of pig manure
(can't get away from those pigs!).  John & Ken were in the front seats
and were complaining about the odour.  Since pd has taken almost all of
my sense of smell, I was quite comfortable riding in the back...thinking
that this is one time pd has done me a good turn.  I was wrong.  That's
the alert part.  I am including, below, part of a message I sent to
Janet when I got home.

"You very nearly were abandoned to run the list on your own. We had
spent
Monday night in Kingston, ON, because John ended up doing all the
driving.
My brother-in-law, Ken, can't see well enough to drive anymore so the
only time John got a break from driving was when I took over which is
another story (I nearly rolled it) which is why we decided on a two-day
trip home.  Besides John & Ken and me, we had Kassandra, the 14-year-old
friend of Ken's grandaughter with us.  Kassandra and I were sitting in
the back of the rv when, just before Belleville, ON, Kassandra said she
could smell smoke...I couldn't smell anything but my sense of smell is
nearly gone.  I hollered to John that Kassandra smelled smoke and he
pulled over to the shoulder of Highway 401 and we all got out.  Eight
hours
and $622 + towing later, we were on the road again but the guys said
that within minutes the whole thing would have been on fire..the problem
was located about 6 inches from the gas tank and between Kassandra and
me
and the exit!

I was sick to my stomach all the rest of that day and the next few
days..we
think the fumes must have been coming into the rv for a while before
Kassandra smelled smoke..the problem was on my side of the rv.

I decided to use this as an alert to pwp's to make sure their smoke
detectors and carbon monoxide detectors are installed properly and
working. If there are no detectors in their residences, get them and
have them installed immediately.  I never
realized how dangerous losing one's sense of smell can be!

Barb