In a message dated 7/16/99 10:40:08 PM Central Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<<
 In 1997, after four years of advocacy efforts, the Morris K. Udall
 Parkinson's Research Act was signed into law authorizing the National
 Institutes of Health (NIH) to fund up to $100 million in "research
 focused on Parkinson's disease."  As of this date, the Act has not been
 funded and much of the research has not been  >>

Dear Senator BIGWHEEL,                                          July 17, 1999

Thank you for having your legislative assistant (Ms. xyz) meet with us on
June 30.

I spent most of my time demonstrating (via videotape) my disability, and
proving (via my picture-containing prospectus) what I had lost to 20 years of
symptomatic Parkinson's Disease  (PD).

We didn't spend much time on the most important points --the "so what."  I
will attempt to rectify that situation now.

That week, our research experts called Parkinson's the "most curable
neurological disorder" and told us of several projects that are very close to
a cure.

Time is not neutral for people with Parkinson's - the disease is progressive,
chronic, and relentless - and we can't afford to wait any longer.  The
details of a cure are of secondary importance to us, WHEN it is accomplished
is not.

 Last year, Congress provided the NIH enough new FY 99 money to do more of
everything.  Incredibly, once again most of the 100,000,000.00 annual dollars
specified in the Udall Act was not spent on PD.

I have become convinced that Federal money does drive research!  To
paraphrase a St. Louis researcher "Persons wanting to do research, find and
submit proposals based on the availability of funds.  Federal funds for PD
are tight right now."

The financial incentive to spend (invest) this money is overwhelming.  It
seems logical to do so as soon as possible.

PD costs society (a generous part of this is federal money) from 5 to 25
billion dollars a year (13.6 to 68.5 million a day).  Saving the (extremely
low end estimate) 13 million dollars a day would pay a whole year's
investment back in 7.3 days in a PD free America.  A more reasonable 68
million a day would pay it back in less than two.

Much is made of avoiding politicians making scientific decisions.  In our
society, elected representatives, not scientists, decide priorities.
Spending to fund a cure for PD is a question of priorities.

A specific to do:
Please contact Representatives Carolyn Maloney and/or Fred Upton.  Then
cooperate with the Congressional Working Group on Parkinson's Disease.

Thought I'd share.  If you wish, please plagiarize

Regards,
WHH 55/38/37