Hi, Ted -
<<
 At 17:14 1999/07/21 -0700, you wrote:
 >Are any of the surgical procedures for Parkinson's currently covered =
 >under Medicare?  Do any of these surgeries specifically improve slowness =
 >of movement?
 >
 >Ted Menser (51/45/43) >>

There are three types of stimulator (DBS) surgeries - thalamic stimulation,
pallidal stimulation, and sub-thalamic nucleus stimulation (STN).  Thalamic
stim handles only tremor.  Pallidal stimulation helps with tremor,
dyskinesia, and dystonia.  These two surgeries, I believe, are covered by
Medicare.  However, the newest surgery, STN, is still considered experimental
and is not yet covered.  It's supposed to help with bradykinesia as well as
tremor and dyskinesia, I've heard.

 Dick had bilateral pallidal stimulation 3-1/2 years ago when it was brand
new, and I'd heard it started being covered by Medicare this spring.  (Not
positive of this, but it was on a press release on the closed-circuit TV at
KU Med Center).  I'd guess that if that pattern continues, STN might be
covered by Medicare in the next two or three years.

As you know, meanwhile the trick is to try to get enough dopamine to help the
PD symptoms while not setting off intolerable side effects.  A very tricky
balance, as any PWP can attest.  Surgery has the benefit of controlling not
only PD symptoms but their side effects.

Margie Swindler  cg for Dick, 54/17