Hi all,

Digitaal Ziekenhuis Nederland (Digital Hospital Netherlands) is visited each
month by more than 60,000 people.  (comparable with a USA healthsite with
1,200,000 visitors a month). This makes this healthsite one of the most
frequently visited Dutch healthsites. Some time ago they invited patients to
send in personal stories about their disease to be published on their site
as "Patient's story of the Week".

Anneke Fongers, one of the members of NEDERPARK (the dutch PD-list) sent her
story in and was published on their site this week. Below is the text of her
story. Her story can also be read at my english homepage at:
http://people.zeelandnet.nl/genugten/indexeng.htm#anneke
If you want to repond to Anneke, please send your email to:
     Anneke Fongers <[log in to unmask]>

Hans.

===========================

This is a story of Anneke, a 50 year old female, about Parkinson's Disease.
She has got this disease about 9 years, and still has problems with
accepting . Anneke tells about a morning in her life: to start with waking
up with pain and ending with canceling her appointment with the hairdresser,
because she is too exhausted, again.

"A random day in the life of a 50 years old Parkinsonian"

I wake up, much too early in the morning. I turn around on my other side.
It is a difficult thing to do. And that terrible pain in my back, help, that
hurts! I try to stay in bed as long as possible. The later I take the pills
the better. Maybe I will feel better in the evening then!

It is half past eight now, time to get up, I can't wait any longer. Get
dressed, the shower can wait. Ouch! While trying to put on my socks, it
looks like my feet are too far away!

Go downstairs and start the first job of everyday: washing the dishes. It is
quite easy, I don't walk too bad and can stand rather stabile. Oh I wish I
could stay  this "good" all day!!! Then emptying the dustbins, watering the
plants, cleaning the living room a bit, it is still all right. Coffee-break.

Let me take my medicine now, before I mix up the pill schedule for the rest
of the day. I wonder how this day will be. As a matter of fact, I am getting
tired already.
Yesterday I made an appointment with my hairdresser: this morning at half
past ten. My hair needs a cutting very urgently, it almost covers my eyes!

First I will have my second cup of coffee, while looking at "All in the
family".
And then, when I try to stand up straight, I notice my right leg is making
trouble again. It makes lots of unwelcome movements and I have to make
efforts not to lose my balance.

Lets wait for a while and lay down on the couch, relaxed. Relaxed????? No
way! And now my face begins to make "funny" movements. I have to wait and
rest a bit longer and watch a soap on the telly.

I feel terrible about myself because there is so much to do in the
house…But, well, I can't help it. This means Mister Parkinson makes me
helpless.. I DON'T allow him to! I WANT to stay in charge of my life!!

It is a quarter to ten by now. I have to take a shower and wash my hair. But
at this moment I don't feel like it, of course. I have got some adjustments
in the house like handles and a shower-chair to make things easier. But yet
it is a "hell of a job".
So I have to cancel the appointment with the hairdresser.
What a wonderful feeling to be totally free! But not for real!!!!!

Copyright: Anneke Fongers.