Trish-- here's the answer from Peter's neuro:

Question:
 A friend who has PD says her doctor told her that PD
 and hypoglycemia are "both caused by a virus". I
 thought the cause of PD was unknown....except for
 the cases resulting from the 1918 flu epidemic. Can
 the doctor be right? or is he thinking of the 1918
 cases only? I don`t know if the doctor is a
 neurologist. Any comments?

Answer:
 The cause for PD remains unknown. Postencephalitic
 parkinsonism is indeed due to a virus as you have
 indicated. However, the brain pathology in such
 patients does not resemble that seen in PD, so they
 are distinct entities. MPTP, a contaminant of illicit
 drugs also produced an epidemic of parkinsonism.
 This again is a distinct entity but suggests the
 possibility of toxins as a cause. Paraquat, a pesticide,
 has a chemical structure resembling MPTP. There
 also is some indication that PD may be more common
 in rural areas, perhaps related to pesticide exposure.
 All these however are speculations and there is no
 definitive evidence for any of these agents as specific
 causative factors for Parkinson`s disease.

For more information:

 Arif Dalvi, M.D.  Assistant Professor , Department of Neurology
 College of Medicine , University of Cincinnati
*******
This "NetWellness"site run by the U. of Cincinnati Med School  is very
useful--one can "Ask an Expert" about a long list of diseases. I have
mentioned it before, and here's the URL again.  Maybe Janet would like to
link to it?

  http://www.netwellness.org/expert/expert_frame.htm

 Ask an Expert | What's Hot | Health Topics | In the News
 What's New | Search | Getting Around | About | Feedback |
 E-Books/Magazines | Medline | Home
 Copyright © 1994-1999 University of Cincinnati
********
Trish--
You might want to share this with the osteopath who misinformed you!

You could go to the website and ask about hypoglycemia, too .

       Camilla Flintermann,                             <[log in to unmask]>

 http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/camilla/one.htm  My Home Page

             "  Knowing when to insist, and when to let be,
               is,perhaps, a lifetime learning experience  ."
                              --Mary McCurry