I don't think color or cost make much difference as long as the laser
pointer produces a spot of some sort to serve as a "visual cue" to the
person who is frozen. The idea is to put something on the floor that he or
she can step OVER. For some reason stepping over something is different from
just taking a step, and will often break a freeze.

I tested a laser pointer and it produced a readily visible, though small,
red spot on the floor when I used it indoors in office light. Unfortunately
the spot did not show up outside on the sidewalk in sunlight.

Cynthia A. Holmes, PhD
APDA Coordinator
University of Arizona
Tucson AZ
1 (800) 541-4960

t 01:38 PM 7/22/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Has anyone heard of using these devices for aiding PWP who have bradykensia
[freezing]?  A very short article in the August issue of Popular Science
Magazine, of all places, describes their use by doctors at the University of
Rochester's Strong Memorial Hospital, and makes the statement that, "It's
not often that a debilitating symptom affecting as many as 150,000 patients
might be alleviated by a cheap, readily available fix."

>I would like to try one but these laser pointers come in various colors and
range from real cheap to real  expensive.  And the article does not describe
exactly how it  would be used to stop freezing.  Does anyone know anyone at
this hospital so you could make an inquiry?

>Thanks
>
>Bruce A. (53,5)
>Schooley's Mtn., NJ

><HTML><HEAD>
><META content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" http-equiv=Content-Type>
><META content="MSHTML 5.00.2314.1000" name=GENERATOR>
><STYLE></STYLE>
></HEAD>
><BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
><DIV>Has anyone heard of using these devices for aiding PWP who have
bradykensia
>[freezing]?&nbsp; A very short article in the August issue of Popular Science
>Magazine, of all places, describes their use by doctors at the University of
>Rochester's Strong Memorial Hospital, and makes the statement that,&nbsp;"It's
>not often that a debilitating symptom affecting as many as 150,000 patients
>might&nbsp;be&nbsp;alleviated by a cheap, readily available fix."</DIV>
><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV>I would like&nbsp;to try&nbsp;one but these laser pointers come in
>various&nbsp;colors and range from real cheap to real&nbsp;
expensive.&nbsp; And
>the article does not describe exactly how it&nbsp; would be used to stop
>freezing.&nbsp; Does anyone know anyone at this hospital so you could make an
>inquiry?</DIV>
><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV>Thanks</DIV>
><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
><DIV>Bruce A. (53,5)</DIV>
><DIV>Schooley's Mtn., NJ</DIV>
><DIV><A
>href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
tt.net</A></DIV>