I know that there is something similar to what you are describing.  A
portable word processor.  My grandmother in England had ALS, Lou
Gherricks (sp?). She lost all motor skills slowly.  And she had a little
machine, similar to an accounting calculator, but it was a keyboard.
This was a method of communication for her because she was eventually
unable to even speak.  I don't know what it was called, I'm going to ask
my father.  I hope that maybe this can be of use to you.  If I do find
out what it is called, I will post another message.

Sarah Doubt

"...a rose by any other word would smell as sweet..."
                                         William Shakespeare