Bill,

I, too have had a second chance at life.  You couldn't have expressed it
better.  I had my bilateral  STN DBS at Oregon Health Science University.
It is as you say, a new lease on life and it certainly does give a new
perspective  as to the direction I have taken since.

I now wonder, since you mentioned it too, if they didn't "program" us to
dedicate ourselves to the Parkinson's community.  (I say with an
uncomfortable chuckle, while looking over my shoulder).

My story almost mirrors yours.  Since the surgery I have donated my time to
various research projects at NIH and OHSU. I run the Support group in our
area
and I too am a member of OHSU peer counselors.  I didn't know there were
any others anywhere else.

None of the above are the reasons I am writing to you.  I am here to tell
you, you have more hurdles ahead.  My battery went dead in May of this year
and I have fallen deeper into the abyss than ever before. I feel near
helpless.  The medicine doesn't work any more and the tremor is unbearable.
I have an appointment to get it replaced but it seems ages away, Aug. 13th.
Keep in touch  Bionic Bill, we have a common partner.

>MY SECOND CHANCE AT LIFE
>by
>Bill Harshaw
>
> Most of us don't do as well as we could in our first and only chance at
>life. I certainly didn't.  Several errors in judgement resulted in life
>being less comfortable than it might otherwise have been.

jjjane
http://www.geocities.com/soho/village/6263/pienet/people/hithross.html