On 25 Jul 99 at 23:16, Clare Wilson wrote:

> Hello out there...anyone who can help me with sciatica
>
> Had my initiation during Apr/May/June, treated by three epidural
> injections of cortisone.  I'm feeling like the same beginning
> ache is present in both buttocks.  The anesthesiologist
> who did the eipdurals said I can't have any more steroids
> for a year.
>
> I've read everything in the archives on the subject, and
> there does not seem to be a clear connection between
> PD and sciatica.  I don't even know whether to use
> ice or heat....afraid I'm going to convert the ache into
> the hard pain.
>
> The orthopod who referred me to the  anesthes.....
> is probably the next doc I should see.  I'm already
> seeing an acupuncturist every week, and a chiropractor
> monthly.  They help me with the constant lower back
> pain.  Talk about getting depressed!
>
> Will appreciate some words of wisdom from the List pals.
> Clare Wilson

Well Clare, I'm not a Dr. (i'm a mech.) but over 10 years of sciatic
pains might qualify me to comment.

I don't think much of steroids and epidurals, and as for ice and/or
heat neither have done much for my sciatica.

I think you need to stretch every day, exercise every day, and walk.

That's what works for me.....

A good physiotherapist will advise you when and how to stretch that
part of your anatomy without introducing new problems.  A good
physiotherapist will advise you on building sets of exercise to
regain strength and flexibility.

Walking?  Head up, tummy in, eyes on the horizon, shake out your
hands and relax your arms and shoulders........... now stride out
with purpose for a few minutes..... Add a minute or 2 until you can
walk with purpose for a half hour.... (still got that sciatic
pain?????)

I feel a mild tingling sensation some time pretty well every day but
the stabbing pains I once had....... never, as long as I stretch and
walk.

Clare, it works for me....... best wishes..... murray