I taught myself to write left handed after losing
the use of my right hand to pd. Yes, learning
was very frustrating. It took me about 5 months,
practicing every day, to become proficient
enough to take notes at work and write checks.
I'm still (1 year) very slow left handed but I can
write steadily (which I am unable to do right
handed).

To my surprise, the writing instrument made a
tremendous difference when learning. Start with
a PENCIL and don't attempt to use a pen until
you are comfortable (took me ~ 5 months)
writing with a pencil for long periods of time (~ 1
- 2 notebook pages).

Gray