Biofactors 1999;9(2-4):261-6

Coenzyme Q10 administration and its potential for treatment of
neurodegenerative diseases.

Beal MF
Neurochemistry Laboratory, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston 02114,
USA.

Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is an essential cofactor of the electron transport
chain as well as an important antioxidant. Previous studies have suggested
that it may exert therapeutic effects in patients with known mitochondrial
disorders. We investigated whether it can exert neuroprotective effects in a
variety of animal models. We have demonstrated that CoQ10 can protect
against striatal lesions produced by both malonate and 3-nitropropionic
acid. It also protects against MPTP toxicity in mice. It extended survival
in a transgenic mouse model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. We
demonstrated that oral administration can increase plasma levels in patients
with Parkinson's disease. Oral administration of CoQ10 significantly
decreased elevated lactate levels in patients with Huntington's disease.
These studies therefore raise the prospect that administration of CoQ10 may
be useful for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases.

PMID: 10416039, UI: 99344528
----