Brain Res 1999 Jul 24;835(2):306-314

Mucus of the human olfactory epithelium contains the insulin-like growth
factor-I system which is altered in some neurodegenerative diseases.

Federico G, Maremmani C, Cinquanta L, Baroncelli GI, Fattori B, Saggese G
Endocrine Unit, Division of Paediatrics, Department of Reproductive Medicine
and Paediatrics, University of Pisa, Via Roma 67, I-56125, Pisa, Italy

Growth factors are believed to be involved in the mitotic regulation of the
animal olfactory epithelium (OE). We investigated mucus covering the human
OE area to see if it contained the insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) and
its binding proteins (IGFBPs) and to examine their behaviour in
neurodegenerative diseases. Thirty patients with idiopathic late onset
cerebellar ataxia (ILOCA), Parkinson's disease, and amyotrophic lateral
sclerosis (ALS) and 30 age- and sex-matched healthy subjects were studied.
In 10 controls, we also analyzed the mucus of the respiratory mucosa of the
nose and tears. We detected IGF-I in the mucus covering the OE and Western
ligand blot analysis (WLB) showed IGFBPs with an apparent Mr of
41,500/38,500, 34,000 and 24,000, which were immunoprecipitated by specific
antisera to IGFBP-3, -2 and -4, respectively. Their levels were higher than
those observed in the respiratory mucosa of the nose or in tears. Mucus of
the OE of the patients contained significantly reduced levels of IGF-I in
comparison with those of controls. The intensity of all the IGFBPs-related
bands were reduced in the ILOCA, while the remaining patients had a loss in
the amounts of IGFBP-3. Plasma IGF-I and IGFBPs levels were similar in
patients and controls. In conclusion, our data show that mucus covering the
human OE contains IGF-I and IGFBPs, suggesting that these factors have a
role in the activity of the OE. The amounts are reduced in the patients'
mucus, possibly reflecting a dysfunction of the OE itself. Copyright 1999
Elsevier Science B.V.

PMID: 10415387
----