J Neurochem 1999 Jul;73(1):70-8

Differential effects of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor and
neurturin on developing and adult substantia nigra dopaminergic neurons.

Akerud P, Alberch J, Eketjall S, Wagner J, Arenas E
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Karolinska Institute,
Stockholm, Sweden.

Neurturin (NTN) and glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF), two
members of the GDNF family of growth factors, exert very similar biological
activities in different systems, including the substantia nigra. Our goal in
the present work was to compare their function and define whether
nonoverlapping biological activities on midbrain dopaminergic neurons exist.
We first found that NTN and GDNF are differentially regulated during
postnatal development. NTN mRNA progressively decreased in the ventral
mesencephalon and progressively increased in the striatum, coincident with a
decrease in GDNF mRNA expression. This finding suggested distinct
physiological roles for each factor in the nigrostriatal system. We
therefore examined their function in ventral mesencephalon cultures and
found that NTN promoted survival comparable with GDNF, but only GDNF induced
sprouting and hypertrophy of developing dopaminergic neurons. We
subsequently examined the ability of NTN to prevent the
6-hydroxydopamine-induced degeneration of adult dopaminergic neurons in
vivo. Fibroblasts genetically engineered to deliver high levels of GDNF or
NTN were grafted supranigrally. NTN was found to be as potent as GDNF at
preventing the death of nigral dopaminergic neurons, but only GDNF induced
tyrosine hydroxylase staining, sprouting, or hypertrophy of dopaminergic
neurons. In conclusion, our results show selective survival-promoting
effects of NTN over wider survival, neuritogenic, and hypertrophic effects
of GDNF on dopaminergic neurons in vitro and in vivo. Such differences are
likely to underlie unique roles for each factor in postnatal development and
may ultimately be exploited in the treatment of Parkinson's disease.

PMID: 10386956, UI: 99313528
----