Hi Erika-- Paranoid, confusion, and hallucinations can all be the result of
too much PD medication.  I believe this can result from *any* of the meds,
but my husband's problem was due to starting the then-new drug, Mirapex,
under the care of a neuro who refused to reduce the Sinemet at the time he
started it.  We had a full blown paranoid episode after 1 week, and the
delusions disappeared when, after 3 days in hospital, the drug was out of
his system.   He now takes ReQuip, but started very slowly  reduced
Sinemet, and added Seroquel (an antipsychotic ) and is doing very well.  he
still has, and will always have, poccasional mild hallucinations("Oh, was
our daughter here?Has she left yet? Who are the kids on the sofa? : or
"Look at that (crumb) moving-it must be a bug."  Those we can live with,
but the balance between getting *enough* Sinemet etc to keep some mobility
and *not enough* to push him past the tip point is a delicate one.  I know
how hard this must be for your family. Has the med routine been evaluated
or adjusted?  Is he on an antipsychotic, such as Seroquel,Clozaril,or
Zyprexa, all of which help some PWPs.  ?   Do stay connected, and also join
the CARE list--I'm posting the info about it right away, so watxh for it.

>     Hi, my name is Erika. I am a non Parkensonian looking to get a better
>understanding/more information. Our brother-in-law (55), of whom we are
>very  fond, is in a fairly advanced stage of PD. Over the last half year
>or so, he has had mild  episodes of paranoia, which have now aggrevated to
>a stage where he is afraid to  eat, because he thinks that his food has
>been tampered with to harm him. He  feels at times that people are
>colluding against him. He has lost a frightful  lot of weight. It also
>means that it is very difficult for him to trust his  close family, his
>doctor etc.    My question is: Is this a "normal"  symptom of the disease
>in some parkensonians, or can it be brought about by the  medication? If
>it is likely to be the medication, does  anyone have experience with a
>particular medication being worse than other  producing paranoia? Hoping
>that there are people out there willing  to share their experience of
>paranoia.                                    With thanks in advance,
>                                                                Erika.

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 81/70/55
Oxford, Ohio

                        "Ask me about the CARE list for
                        Caregivers of Parkinsonians ! "